Wednesday, December 14, 2005

paper # 2

Mai Chang Vue
12-13-2005

Paper #2

Much of my work was influenced by my own culture and wanting to learn more about the possibilities of what I could do to represent Hmong people, more specifically Hmong children. My source of motivation to get me started on my series of prints of Hmong children was through performing research on my people and simply looking at photographs I could find in books or the internet. I found great photos in books and on the internet, but I just did not feel the connection and just was not happy. It was when I went to my family and relatives to see if I could look through their albums was when I felt more at “one” with my people because the pictures were of my family so I felt a closer tie.

Anyhow, after looking at all these photos I still was not able to get started. When I came across Helen Hydes’ work in my search for an artist to write my first paper on was when things finally fell into place. Her ability to capture women and children in the form of prints was heart-warming and uplifting. Knowing simply that she was an American women who was in terest in Asian people compelled me to get the rolling press rollin’.

While working I thought and tried to be painterly like Helen, but trying to did not feel satisfying because I wanted to restrict myself to being more linear and controlled. Because of this, I started looking at Rembrandt’s and Durer’s work. I liked the linear and detailed quality of their prints so combined their techniques with Helen’s to create what I came up with for my series. I tried to work details but kept things simple like Helen to capture a mere glimpse or moment of Hmong children on print.

I am quite happy with how my prints turned out. If not for these influences I would not be where I am with my prints. Seeing how successful I was this first time working with intaglio make me regret not getting into intaglio earlier in my college education. I will just have to find other opportunities to allow me to create prints. In the mean time, I will continue doing research and looking at other printmakers so that the opportunity comes up I will be ready to make prints like crazy.

No comments: